One of the things we love about building homes is the thought of creating a warm and inviting place for families to create memories. While we believe that home is always where the heart is, we know that the holidays offer an opportunity to bring family together. One easy way to elevate those special moments is to decorate your living space to match the beauty of the season.
You don’t have to be a professional to use the following tips to create a picture-worthy environment for your home this season. You also don’t have to break the bank to make it happen!
- Put away the summer colors and replace them with fall and holiday themes. It doesn’t have to be much, just some pillows, a throw blanket and other small accent pieces will do the trick. Of course, if you want to do it up a bit, you can hang some accent pieces around your home as well, especially near entryways.
- Centerpieces and table settings: Holidays and holiday gatherings offer you a great opportunity to enjoy some formal place settings. Even if you don’t want to pull out the fall-colored placemats, you can use a holiday centerpiece to make every dinner feel like a feast. You can use one for each holiday or select a nice fall-themed one that simply fits the season, not just an individual holiday.
- Seasonal candles: Few things are easier to decorate with than candles. It is easy to find fall and holiday themed candles to add a bit of cheer to every room. Consider mixing pillars with container candles, along with holiday and fall themed colors and scents. This will allow you to use your seasonal candles throughout the holidays and into the new year.
- Mood lighting: While lighting can be expensive, it doesn’t have to be. You can utilize inexpensive string lights to decorate eating and living areas for a get together. These quickly create ambiance and are versatile enough to use indoor and outdoor.
- Add accents to existing decor: You can add holiday-colored ribbons, or accents like tree ornaments to existing decor elements. This can turn your daily look into a more festive look with minimal cost and effort. For instance, add a garland or ornament to your mantle to give the space a holiday look without completely switching everything out.
- Decorate your porch and deck: Seasonal displays on your porch or outdoor living areas can add a new element of charm to your home. Placing mini-haystacks, gourds and similar displays around your entry is a simple way to create an inviting first impression. Using lighting and holiday displays on your deck or porch can also give holiday guests more places to sit and talk, extending your living space for family outings.
And don’t forget about the tree! Few things set the stage for holiday memories as easily as a well-decorated tree! If you have the space, consider setting up your main tree and a smaller accent tree. It’s not much more work than setting up your main tree but will instantly elevate your home’s decor into a more festive backdrop for creating those long-lasting holiday memories.